Saturday, January 18, 2014

How to make bottle cap buttons for lanyards

I really loved the lanyard idea I found from this library Mother Daughter book club. You can see the picture of what they did here.

I bought each girl a lanyard (cheap ones from Oriental Trading) and added a name badge holder for them to write their name on.  Because button makers are expensive, I made bottle cap buttons instead.

HOW TO MAKE BOTTLE CAP BUTTONS FOR LANYARDS

Items needed: 

 bottle caps (without plastic liners, so unfortunately that means purchasing some at a craft store).
a 1 inch circle hole punch (craft store)
resin sticker circles (craft store)
glue sticks
E6000 craft glue (walmart)
flat pin backs (walmart...sewing area)


I grabbed JPGs of the book covers online and pasted them in a word document.  Sized them down to where the image looked to be about an inch in diameter.  You can see this fairly clearly by looking at the RULER on MS Word.  I used the snipping tool on Windows to crop out excessive parts of the image.  Just focusing on the important part of the image.  like Sheila's face, the fairy, the girls on the cover, etc.  

I am new to Blogger but I will try to figure out a way to upload the Word documents of these images so they are ready for use (and don't need resized or created from scratch).  

Hole punch out the image.   Use a glue stick to glue image inside the bottle cap.  Place resin sticker over image.  Flip bottle cap over.  Use E6000 glue to attach flat pin back to the back.  VOILA!  Cheap buttons.


No comments:

Post a Comment